View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
seymore4
Track Member

Drives: 2010 nismo
seymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDog View Post
I have not done this, but I think Uprev will send you a kit and you can get a pretty good tune with them using logging etc.

do a search on this forum. I know I have read of people getting pretty good results that way. I am NOT speaking from experience (am lucky to live close to a tuner)
Basically the way the etunes work is they give you a base map that gets the tune kind of in the ballpark, then you have to datalog certain engine parameters while you drive around (rpm, load, AFR, throttle position, etc etc) and email it in, they compare that to the tune file and make some adjustments. You get the updated rom file in your inbox, flash it onto the ecu, and repeat.

Honestly etune or dyno tune it all comes down to the tuner. Yes a dyno tune will give you more exact IMMEDIATE results, and the maximum power potential if performed correctly, but I've seen a lot of tunes that were FUBAR'd.. just because the guy owns a shop and has a dyno doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. With an etune you can get pretty darn close with these new cars but it is not immediate. It takes time, patience, and can't be done in 1 or 2 updates.
seymore4 is offline   Reply With Quote