View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gauge
Track Member

Drives: 2012 370Z Nismo PW
Gauge is a jewel in the roughGauge is a jewel in the roughGauge is a jewel in the roughGauge is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin82 View Post
Any cf hood laid wet will not be lighter than the stock hood, only reason I added the vented hood is to release engine heat at the track, if I wanted to drop weight then you have to go with a dry cf hood it was just too much money.......
I'm hesitant to say you are wrong, but I think you may be wrong. It doesn't matter if you use dry carbon fiber or wet lay. If you use resin infusion (vacuum bag to pull resin) you will end up with near the same result. Dry will be slightly better, I want to pull attention to the word SLIGHTLY. Unless you are doing 24 hour le mans, you won't need the weight difference between a good resin infusion wet lay and dry CF. To the quoted posters benefit, there is a lot of shitty wet lay carbon fiber stuff out there(supposedly, I don't know this from experience).

Also I'm almost certain a pure CF hood is lighter than the stock hood. Otherwise, why do all RC's use CF? The CF/FG hybrid is probably NOT lighter than the original hood. Same with CF/Kevlar hybrid. But pure CF should be, substantially so.

Last edited by Gauge; 08-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote