View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #710 (permalink)
370zDR
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
370zDR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondnissan View Post
Car is lowered, so that hurts your traction because of the increase in negative camber. Stiffer springs and lower center of gravity also kill weight transfer. 18 psi is waaaay too low for street tires at the strip. My 60' times get worse if I go below 29 psi, plus it kills your MPH at the big end. Wide tires with a small stiff sidewall do not increase straight line traction. tall tires with a huge soft sidewall do. I've heard disconnecting the front sway does nothing for increasing traction ( besides lower weight when removed ) on an independent rear susension car because we load the rear tires evenly. The diferential is mounted to the chassis and is not suspended by the springs like a live axle car.
I lowered the car and corrected my camber setting with SPC Arms, running (-1.5) rear camber, witch is on the positive side of factory settings (-1.2 to -2.2). As for the springs Tein's are comparable to Nismo spring rates, tough they are progressive not linear and the car sits lower, but should be pretty much similar in getting of the line weight transferring, here's a comparison :

OEM Spring Rates
F: (7.5 kgf/mm) R: (8.1 kgf/mm)
Stock Nismo rates
F: (8.6 kgf/mm) R-(9.3 kgf/mm)
Tein S-tech
F: 8.5kg (-0.9") R 9.4kg (-0.7")

I will try running higher psi when I go back to the track, but this will be after getting new tires, as you say, small stiff sidewalls do not help in straight line, this is the reason why I'm leaning on the RE-11's 285/35 or R-S3 275/35, still undecided, every street tire class is now dominated by RS3's, if these were to come in 285/35 they'd be my choice, the only reason why i haven't decided.

Not sure If disconnecting the front bar is helping or not at the moment, but most of the guys running big hp rwd cars do so to help their 60', have always read "The front sway bar’s job is to transfer weight from the left front to the right front. By disconnecting the sway bar (or better yet, remove it to also eliminate weight), the front end is now able to transfer more weight to the rear tires"; I'll try to do a couple of runs with and without and see if it's helping or not.

thanks for your advices
Uprev/F.I CBE 18"/Art Pipes/G3's/NST Pulleys/Z1cooler 25R/Tein's/20mm Ichiba/Stillen Sways/275-305's/Motul 600/Red Calipers/Matte Wheels & Handles/Stillen Splitter/S-Tune Skirts/Shine Rears/Blackout Headlights,fangs and Valance/Evo-R Fog/Project Mu
370zDR is offline   Reply With Quote