Thread: GTR or GT3
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
MC

Drives: 2015 GTR NISMO
MC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zsteve View Post
The Japanese car will *always* be more reliable and cheaper to maintain. As for which is "better", only you can answer the question. Do yourself a favor....pay a visit to a Nissan dealer and a Porsche dealer. Tell them you have a GT-R or a GT3 that needs a new clutch and ask for a Service Estimate from each dealer. Pay attention to the cost of parts.

yeah on the GTR you cannot get the clutch replaced at the dealership anything that goes wrong from the transmission and rear diff area down to a $1 clip the entire transaxle is replaced..but they have been really good about warranty lately so for the first 5 years 60K miles thats not an issue

maintenance overall honestly isnt bad for the GTR thats one big myth about the car.. ive had a GTR since july of 2008 and besides tires it hasnt cost me much more than the Z's i had before that..

the big fluid changes everyone is scared of comes only every 36K miles if the fluids routinely stay under 248 degrees and even then the fluids can be purchased online for about $500.. if your smart you can have a lot of fun in the car and not cross those temp thresholds .especially on 2012+ cars with the added cooling

the newer GTRs have a panel that can be removed for oil changes so the front lip doesnt have to come off.. so the labor at a dealer should be about a half hour tops and you can get the oil at walmart for $35. so oil changes are cheap aswell

i do a couple track days a year and about 10 autocrosses and have never even needed brake pads yet. the rotors will take a couple of pad changes before they need to be replaced so unless your a track junkie thats a non issue aswell

but yeah tires are a killer if you do anything more than commute in it.. the fronts last 4-5K with anytype of performance driving and run over 2500 for a set of 4..

luckily i was able to get 6 sets from Nissan this year

Last edited by MC; 07-29-2012 at 06:05 PM.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote