View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #83 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robones View Post
I don't think the 370 Z is a "learn how to drive a manual" car. You must already know how to drive a manual if not just get an automatic. The manual is notorious. Not smooth loud and if you don't know to shift properly forget about ever being able to feel how quick this car is. Stick to Auto.
I disagree with this statement entirely. I think that SRM is a novice MT driver's best friend. Do I think that someone with zero MT experience should start out in this car? Well no, but if they're gonna get one I think that they have some help that would make the MT not as bad of a choice as it might be in some other sports cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisuke149 View Post
Hrmm. I find the manual in my car smooth... much smoother after a SS clutch line and better fluid.

Honestly, its really easy to drive.. shiftings easy. (it is a tad loud).. Wouldnt be a hard car to learn in at all.
Yes! I seriously don't understand why people complain as much as they do about the MT in this car. It is simply a matter of finding out what the car wants and giving it to her. I don't have upgraded clutch line or fluid and it is perfectly smooth when driven properly. It makes noise if you drop the clutch hard while coasting at low RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear; if you disengage the clutch slowly its smooth as butter with no noise. Every MT is different and its just a matter of getting the feel for it. I had a 1994 Explorer Sport 5MT that I could drop out of gear without touching the clutch at certain RPMs. The play in the clutch engagement was outrageously wide. My Honda Accord 6MT clutch was much tighter, but incredibly smooth even without perfect shifts. Those cars were completely different, as is the MT in the Z.

I love my MT, and we would never have considered purchasing an AT Z. However, that's just my opinion, and certainly does not imply that you have to get an MT to enjoy this car. I guarantee you there are people with AT that love their car and transmission as much as I do

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote