View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
KingDavid
Base Member

Drives: A car
KingDavid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeeZee View Post
Some of the sponsors/vendors on this site, not to vilify them, don't give a sh&t if you get a TT set up from them, and shortly thereafter you blow the motor despite them tuning it to "safe" levels of boost. They're here to make money.

They say 500hp is "safe." These vendors are gonna tell you anything you wanna hear. I honestly don't think 500hp streetable is realistic, more like 400hp. C'mon, a VQ motor is a corporate motor in a truck, passenger car, minivan and whatever Nissan makes. On the other hand, a Ferrari motor is engineered to take 12:1 compression ratio, use certain alloys for its block, etc. to get their motors to pump out 500hp all motor, they're high-performance motors per se whereas VQ's aren't.

But the caveat is that you know that building your motor aftermarket is risky despite anything vendors say is "safe."
Not exactly the vendors. It's the company that makes the kit themselves. GTM has said that 550whp is just where you want to be safe with this block.

I don't know why I said vendors. Pardon the stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
I think that is a good point that you can't trust vendors to give the most accurate information. From all the pictures i've seen the VQ37 is quite a bit beefier than the VQ35 which seemed to be good to around 400-450hp before breaking stuff. If you just bought a brand new G37/370z are you really going to risk loosing an engine over 50hp or take it a bit easier and be safe.

FYI the VQ30DET is good for 500rwhp standard but that was an engine engineered for forced induction from factory. As there isn't much actual experience with the VQ37 yet I'd assume the safe limit is in the 400-500whp range.
**** if it were me, I'd do full bolt-ons, tune, and a 100shot.
KingDavid is offline   Reply With Quote