View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddy lee View Post
I have a friend who is a manager at NTB. Whenever I buy tires ( quite often ) he gives me the tirerack price. He is very knowledgable about the business. I asked him how much he would charge to install some wheel spacers if I bought them. He said NTB will not install spacers and that they would be bad for the car. He said that installing spacers , either of the 2 types , causes the car to flex differently , putting forces on the suspension and other parts of the car that it was not designed for. The car was designed for a specific wheel base and width and that I should not mess with that. Any thoughts?
the wheel rate will change, so from a factory suspension geometry point of view, he is correct.
also from the wider track the wheel bearings and maybe the axles will take more abuse from the drivetrain point of view.

but that's no different than getting aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offset. i think most cars will be able to take 10-15mm with no issue. 20-25 is getting kinda aggressive. 30+ you're probably asking for trouble.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote