View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
370ZilverZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '11 BMW Z4
370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of370ZilverZ has much to be proud of
Default DIY 6MT shifter surround on 7AT install and more CFE

I bought the 6MT shifter surround from a forum member without the shift boot and the shift knob from UAM which works well with this mod.

I sent the 6MT shifter surround in to Tony at CFE to cover in clear reflective carbon fiber to replace my 7AT one I had covered and also stitch me up a boot with thread to match my steering wheel.

I started to follow another thread on the forum and remove the 7AT shifter trim and then start to trim off the shifter base to fit the 6MT shifter surround.

Pics were few and difficult to tell how much to trim, so I waited for mine to get back.

The parts came in yesterday and I got to work. OMG, Make sure you are ready to trim. I used an air saw and a Dremmel tool for grinding. All you will cut is plastic.

Shifter trim1.jpgShifter trim2.jpgShifter trim3.jpgShifter trim4.jpgShifter trim5.jpgShifter trim6.jpg

Once I got everything trimmed to fit, it was time to move on to the shift knob.

The shift knob installation with the UAM kit is very simple and staight forward.
I added some grease to help it slide easier.

After my first run I had to adjust the position of the stopper with the set screws to where it was almost to the top of the shaft. The car gave me a warning because the button stayed too far in.

Shifter1.jpgShifter2.jpgShifter3.jpg

Here are some pics of it all togeter with my new CFE covered cup holder and arm rest cubby.

Shifter surround & knob 1.jpgShifter surround & knob 2.jpgShifter surround & knob 3.jpgShifter surround & knob 4.jpgShifter surround & knob 5.jpg

These are pics of the complete interior.

6MT surround, cup holder & cubby 1.jpg6MT surround, cup holder & cubby 2.jpg6MT surround, cup holder & cubby 3.JPG