View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
mprog
Base Member

Drives: 09 G37s Coupe
mprog is on a distinguished road
Default Review: Drop Engineering Transmission Mount

Last night I installed the Drop Engineering Transmission mount on my 09 6MT G37S coupe.

My car is primarily a daily commuter, but it's also my toy and it gets tracked a few times a year. My goals were to increase transmission stiffness and precision, and to also gain a little more feedback from the drivetrain. In past cars (Subaru), a polyurethane trans mount achieved this quite nicely.

Install was a breeze. Literally took 30 minutes.

As for the results…

Shifting is definitely improved, and has a solid feel to it.
But the noise and vibration is IMMENSE! The car has a low frequency vibration / resonance that's so strong, at first I thought I must have damaged something inadvertently. It's LOUD, as in "I struggle to hear the exhaust over it" loud. Interior trim pieces are rattling.

Idle is so so, but engaging the clutch brings on significant vibration. Under fast acceleration, hitting 3-4k RPM also has significant vibration, getting slightly easier once you pass 5k. You hear the synchros, you hear the clutch plates, you hear it all.

I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to immediately swap it back to stock, or if I'll live with it and see if it "breaks in", which I've read it should. I'd be really surprised if it breaks in to a level acceptable for daily driving use. It makes the car feel like a BEAST, which there's a part of me that really enjoys that. But this car is my daily driver, and there's no way I could live with it like this long term.

Anyone else have a similar experience w/ this?
mprog is offline   Reply With Quote