View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #83 (permalink)
Denny McLain
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 96CE hotrod
Denny McLain is on a distinguished road

Starting to get a little deeper into the tune and how the Cobb system works. As I become more and more familiar with it, I'm starting to warm up to it a little more. (still wish I could play with the onset of the fans.......hint, if anyone is listening.)

When the car was tuned at Cobb they did not touch the timing tables and again, each car is different and these cars may may not like much timing. The stock timing tables still look very conservative to me. I logged a couple of second gear passes and the car is pulling out timing in the midrange and even more so when it gets hotter (like a 203 degree water temp vs 184). For poops n grins to see what would happen, increased the timing in the same range that is being pulled out and made a couple more runs. Still pulled out timing from what's in the table, but the log showed an increase in timing in that range.

The computer might be seeing what it thinks is a lean spot and pulling timing, so I added a bit of fuel where it's pulling timing out plus increased the overall timing by 2-3 degrees. Will drive the car and let the computer learn and also to see what's going on.

Hope to eat my prior words as in the past there wasn't much gained in timing ,but these tables are almost half what a Ltx small block is tuned for.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote