View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #73 (permalink)
SS66
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z SP m6
SS66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos219 View Post
Exactly. These low volume cars aren't profitable which isn't a big deal if its not impacting the bottom line. Its a different story now exacerbated by the fact that the Yen is stronger than the dollar. Part of the strategy is to reduce imports and part of it is to diffuse costs by boosting sales, exactly Nissan's plan for the Z by making it appeal to a broader audience (READ: We're going to make it cheap and affordable which will increase units).

Reconceptualizing the Z would do the latter and given the relative success of the FRS/BRZ makes the most sense. I say relative b/c the North American market overwhelmingly gravitates towards American cars when it comes to sports cars. But it looks to me like Nissan is taking a page out of the Toyota playbook - make it cheap and affordable and give it measurable performance and we'll move more units which will make out balance sheet look better.
I guess if I wanted to be part of the broader audience I would have purchased a camaro or a mustang. When I drive my Z I like the notion I am not going to pass one 8 - 9 times a day. But that is just me.
SS66 is offline   Reply With Quote