View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all
Default Another CSC failure?

TL;DR:

I think my CSC failed. No warranty. What should I do?

So, I think I have fallen victim to Nissan's poor CSC. Or at least, I think it's the CSC.

I have a 2009, only 12.2K miles. Removed the clutch helper spring about 600 miles ago. I think I first noticed issues when the clutch pedal felt really mushy when cold, but would stiffen up and become more consistent with some driving. Unfortunately, I'm kind of ignorant sometimes.

I wanted to drive out, and without much of a deal, turned the motor over, disengaged the parking brake, and clutched in. First gear didn't engage. By that, the clutch went all the way in, but I didn't hear the chattering clutch become silent. It wouldn't bite first gear, almost as if it were locking me out. Kicked the clutch in a few times, managed to drop it into first and into the next gears. I figured it might have been me.

Well, over a 20 minute drive to my friend's house, the engagement point was literally a millimeter off the floor, and I occasionally couldn't even get the gears in. I'm surprised I even made it this far.

I know a little bit about this issue, enough to say it's either the dreaded CSC issue, or it's a throwout bearing (which I think is part of the CSC). One thing's for sure, I'm having this thing towed to the nearest dealer and getting it inspected... right after I reinstall the clutch helper spring (even though it's unrelated and it's only to ensure the dealer doesn't try to pull a fast one).

Those 12.2 thousand miles on the odometer weren't very harsh; spirited driving, a few launches at 3K (definitely not recently), and I don't drive retardedly. If that's a word. There's no clutch slip, as far as I can tell.

Some opinions would be appreciated!

EDIT:
Some post-posting thread searching, I remembered I posted in a thread about a similar, if not exactly the same component failure in the Tech Area. Unfortunately, the tech area is very much a quiet area with very few posts per day. However, the OP mentioned the idea of simply going with a stronger system from the get-go while the engine/transmission is dropped; new clutch + flywheel to accompany the ZSpeed CSC. Not a bad idea? It's a good thing the Z is a weekend car; I need new tires, too, but it looks like the RE11's are gonna have to wait a bit. Some suggestions on clutch/flywheel kits would be great, too. I know a few members are running Southbend clutches to good effect; the TZR looks interesting, but I don't know if it's for me. I don't mind a bit more pedal pressure, but I know for sure I don't need unsprung six pucks (or even sprung six pucks, for that matter). I don't think I'm ready for NHRA level street driving yet. All I want is a kit that will eat 500 torques without trouble. I don't even want to know about what happens over 500 horsepower anyway.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."

Last edited by 370Z Purist; 07-09-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: STUFF
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote