View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #66 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBladeZ View Post
I think the pros for the FR-S/BRZ outweigh the cons and when compared from a tuner's aspect the FR-S is the way to go. Need I remind the long time Z guys that we had to wait a very very very very long time for the Z after market to grow. Even now the aftermarket for the z34 is no where near as big as it was for the z33 and other previous Z cars and its been 3.5 years. Greddy already has a reputable TT kit out and the car hasn't been on US soil for a 6 months. The FR-S has is a tuner's wet dream, cheap starting platform (after the dealers stop pushing ridiculous ADM's) and massive competition amongst aftermarket vendors. The FR-S aftermarket is going to dwarf the Z very quickly, social media is already full of pics and concepts that major aftermarket companies are making.

Performance wise, sure the Z will dominate for now but think about how expensive it is to really build the Z34, you're looking at close to 3/4 the cost of the car for a well built and tuned TT kit, an S/C kit will run you at least 10g's. Moreover, while dyno #'s are nice making 500whp+ is useless on a road course, to date I don't think I've seen any TT member even attempt to run it all out at a road course. So you have potentially extreme HP #'s that are good for the drag strip which is not the Z's forte but create a largely uncontrollable monster at the track.

I think the biggest issue with the FR-S is that it comes off as too young but I could probably get around that knowing that the aftermarket for the FR-S is huge. Moreover, call it a gut feeling but given the proper driver a FR-S properly tuned and turboed is going to embarrass a lot of Z guys at the track.
I think it's a cool car, but I doubt a few bolt-ons is going to make this exceptionally fast, even on a track to 'embarass' Z drivers. You can stuff anything under the hood of this thing and claim it to a beast, but you can do that to pretty much any car if you have the cash. Heck, they already stuffed the LF-A engine under there...

....and to be fair, we haven't seen any turbo'd FR-S on the streets, let alone on the track to really know how it handles FI. You don't see too many TT'd 370z's around a track because for the most part, a few bolt on's and reducing weight is all you really need. There's even a few racing teams on here that follow that concept. I really like the FR-S/BRZ, I just think there's just too much hype about this car. I see too many similarities with the RX-8 (another car that could have used FI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWest View Post
Look at the compression ratio on the FR-S, it wont handle boost well.
That's what I was thinking.