Thread: Engine is DONE!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Oil coolers are primarily needed for track users. Normal drivers won't need one (unless you're in a hot climate). Oil consumption is something that should always be checked for. You should have done the oil change as soon as you bought the car. Should also get into the habit of checking the oil at least once a week. Should be every day but unless you're a total gearhead/petrolhead or just extremely paranoid, very unlikely.

I have run Royal Purple for 2000 miles and six months (very low mileage car, weekend driver) and valvetrain noise is annoying. It's not loud seeing as it is such low mileage, but I won't ever deviate from Redline again, since it's the only thing besides Nissan's oil which silences the valve noise. I don't see how something like an 8000 mile oil change interval would cause such massive failure though. Definitely has to be oil consumption, although I'm surprised nobody noticed until it was too late.

That being said, your high oil temperatures were likely caused by your low level of oil. You shouldn't blame Nissan's lack of an oil cooler, simply that you were consuming oil.

Good luck with your warranty work.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote