Thread: car radar?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Nismo#91 View Post
LADAR (LAser Detection And Ranging) calculates a vehicle's speed in milliseconds, just because you detected a laser signal does not mean the laser was pointed at you or the officer wanted to chase you but can't read your speed in time.

Most laser detection occurs from reflections off another vehicle in your line of sight that the officer is targeting so he doesn't care what speed you were going since you were not the target making the detection worthless.

If the LADAR is being used right (waiting 30-60sec between uses) and you are the target you will never know until it is too late because the chances of picking up a line of sight reflection over a mile away is slim.

Same issue with instant on/off Radar guns, but it is nearly impossible for a radar run to function properly if there are more then 2 cars near you. Its a system limitation. Hence why they use Lasers more often in high density areas.
Listen, I don't really need a lesson on how these work, but thanks for informing those who don't know. I understand how it works and reflections etc. I've been around the block a few times so to speak. So we're good.

What I get tired of is people saying a laser is invincible. It's simply not true. Period. And people who say that are just being ignorant.

The 2 times I mentioned last week above; they were me and only me. I was the only car in the area by a long shot, both times, no reflections, just me. I was easily speeding, probably around 85 in a 65 on the highway, and 45-50 in a 35 by my house. I got drilled by lasers both times and guess what they did. Nothing. The cops never even lowered their guns. It was not because I wasn't going fast enough; it's what I did after the laser hit me that made the difference.

Now I'm also not saying that a laser can't get you either. For sure, it can; it's a good Police tool for sure. But I'm also saying that it's not instant death like so many ignorant people say. I don't keep records of every hit, but I've had a V1 since 1997. That's about 15 years give or take. I'll bet in in those 15 years I've been lasered at least, minimally 1 once a month. That's minimally, and very conservatively saying I've been lasered about 200 times. (I'd actually guess much more). And I'm not talking about 5 mph over either; I speed. In all those hits I've only gotten a ticket once from it. ONCE. In all those years of blatant speeding I've gotten 2 tickets now from planes, 1 from laser before I knew what to do, 1 WARNING only from a laser after I knew what to do, 2 from instant on, and 4 when I was driving a car without a detector present. Those numbers speak volumes to me about the importance of the detector tool.

It's a tool. It isn't perfect. But it's easily worth every penny of the $400 - $500 it costs. I don't leave home without it.

Quote:
since you were not the target making the detection worthless.
Another big wrong here, and another thing people who are against detectors always say. But it was totally worth it. At least I know that they were even running radar, which much of the time they are not, and at least I know what kind of gun they were using. You, without a detector, would have no clue. You're going to be nervous until you get out of site whether they tagged you or not, because you have no clue if they were even running radar. And if they pull out behind you, you are going to start sweating regardless. Me? Much of the time I know that they weren't even running radar, so I have no worries. If they pull out behind me; again no worries. Now if they are running radar, I know what kind, and I know they had the chance to tag me, and if I pass and nothing, then I know instantly they aren't after me. If they do pull out, then I can just say bam, they got me. I can jump the entire nervous stage and go straight to "oh well."

Having a radar detector is not only about the times they are running radar, it's also much about the times they aren't.
Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote