View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z Sport
Division is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguyg35 View Post
My tv is 1080p but it doesn't have the 120 or even 240hz like the new ones have. Plus the PS3 is connected via HDMI but the cable box is connected via a component cable. But I thought there wasn’t much of a difference between the two. Anyway being an average guy I am always checking out electronics and when I am looking around at best buy at the new LCDs with 120hz they don’t really seem much better. When sports is on I still see the pixilated look around the fast moving objects. I am thinking the compression that the cable company uses is mostly to blame here. So "division" you are saying verizon fios has better picture quality? You saw a reduction in the pixilation?

Remember, you are only as strong as your weakest link. If you are happy with the way your TV displays with the PS3 as the source, then your TV is not the weakest link. If the same TV that looks good w/ a PS3, looks horrible with cable as the source, than I think its a safe bet that your cable is the weakest link. This was exactly the scenario I was in, and after upgrading to Fios I saw a dramatic (in my terms, normal people would call it noticeable) increase in picture quality between the two. You could try upgrading to a HDMI cable (which being a digital signal as opposed to the analog signal used in component cables) - this could remove any issues (interference, cable quality) your component cables are causing.

As far as the newer TV's are concerned, LCD's will always be trying to make up for their response time, the newer technologies, 120,240 hz, motion flow, etc are all bandaids trying to make a cheaper technology perform better. Its cheaper keep the LCD factories turning out cheaper LCD panels and just invest in the technology to make them perform better... exactly what Sony/Samsung are doing today. A good friend of mine just got a brand new 7 series Samsung TV- that my 2 year old TV outperforms. As long as you have to compensate for an "always on" backlight (LEDs are coming close to making this a non issue) and a static refresh rate, you'll continue to be searching for perfection.
Division is offline   Reply With Quote