View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute

I bought the rear tail light Blue Bat stuff and had a few issues. First, you're right, it's just pre-cut tint, Oracal (SP?) exactly, forget the color number) same as you can get anywhere. What you are getting special from Blue Bat is that it's computer cut to shape.

I had my nephew apply mine. He has worked at sign shops for years and does full auto wraps all the time. He also installed my clear bra for me. But he had problems with this, and I didn't like it anyway. He was able to do the 3rd brake light, but for the tail lights he had 2 issues. First, the material I got from Blue Bat was old and dried out (brittle). Not saying all Blue Bat's stuff is like this, just in my case it was. It basically wouldn't stretch or give at all, and ended up tearing. Second, with precut stuff you have to be pretty exact on where you lay it down on these difficult lights. They have some really crazy little curves etc, and the precut shape actually makes it harder to apply than bulk material. My nephew spent a long time trying to get this precut stuff to fit right, and then it tore anyway. So now that we knew it was just plain old stock Oracal material, he bought some bulk and the next weekend had it on in about 20 minutes.

BUT, on the tail lights it just wasn't dark enough for me; still too red. It's okay on the 3rd brake because of the small size, the hazy color red plastic, and the location under the wing. But I didn't like the tail lights at all. So I had him remove the Oracal and I went to my local body shop. Had them paint the tail lights and the fog light (which I made a 4th brake light), which turned out MUCH better looking than the Oracal. $175 well spent and I know it will hold up.

So, just my opinion of course, because I like how mine looks, but I would go to Blue Bat for the 3rd brake, and do the tails with paint.

As for the head lights, I would love to get mine painted black on the INSIDE, but time and budget doesn't fit right now. Also removing the bumper doesn't thrill me, and I'm worried about paint peal off the chrome and leaks causing fogging inside. I would not tint the clear of the lights, because it seriously does diminish visibility at night. Did it on my old truck and it sucked.

Hope this helps. Here's some pics of my rear end.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5636 PS.jpg (481.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5637 PS.jpg (442.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5638.jpg (432.1 KB, 34 views)
Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates

Last edited by Bonzo; 06-20-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote