View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #37 (permalink)
zakimak
6/2/80 - 9/29/14 - RIP Lukas

Drives: ZR; Q45; VTR1K, GT65
zakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
What year 240? Post 1998 did not have the sound processor bose has now to omit certain frequencies from the audio it is reproducing.
I would rather give safe advice and say they are not compatible rather than saying maybe and someone blowing their bose amp up. Do some speakers provide the same ohms rating as stock, yes, however they may not be as efficient in producing sound as the paper bose speakers. And adding a set of component speakers in a bose system of the z is not that simple. The bose has a output for each speaker coming off the amp, so feeding a set of component speakers a full range signal can only be done after summing the signals of the low and high ouputs of the bose amp.
True on the vintage of the 240 and I could only quote from my experiences as I was the one that installed it. A friend had his 2010 Maxima 'upgraded' to 2-ways pioneers which worked to his liking, so I have observed that it has been successfully integrated. So to say it is not compatible is not true. HOWEVER, I never endorsed it nor said it was simple, especially in the Z system. What I did say was that it was possible but in my opinion not worth doing without further investment.

As for Bose amp blowing up, have you actually witness a situation where "someone blowing their bose amp up" as a direct result of replacement speakers?

As for the "sound processor", what Bose did back then was limit the output at the maximum capability of the amp without distortion as it only allowed the amp to drive to predetermined output. Some system had an active loop which would feed back to the amp to prevent clipping thus distortion. So there is some processing involved. It had a variable equalization curve similar to variable 'loudness'. It simply flatten out from a U curve as the voltage increases to the maximum. AudioControl analyzer confirmed this. I haven't confirm it via test equipment but only by ear and based on that, I have to agree the Z's Bose system low and high end seem to begin to roll off at '22-23' on the radio indicator rather than flatten out. Maybe my ears are playing tricks but until it is confirmed with test equipment, that's all I can base it on. So with that, I agree with your assertion the Bose system "omit" frequencies.

As for "summing the signals of the low and high ouputs of the bose amp". You really need to clarify how this is done before I respond. I don't have in depth knowledge of the what exact signals goes to the dash speakers and to the woofer in the Z's system at this time but assuming the dash speakers are fed only high pass and the woofers are fed with low pass signal from the amp in agreement with your statement "the signals of the low and high ouputs of the bose amp", I'd like you to explain in detail your 'summing' network.

Free Stuff for Premium Members - Yeah Really
zakimak is offline   Reply With Quote