View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
bigaudiofanat
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakimak View Post
Bold statement...yet not entirely correct.

Non-bose specific and or vehicle specific speakers can be installed but will unlikely yield the desired effect - namely improved sound quality to a degree that is satisfactory given the investment in the aftermarket speakers. The difference in efficiency, overall impedance and frequency response of the replacement speaker will likely give an undesirable effect but it is not absolute.

There are too many variables given the integrated design of the Bose system to really have an absolute idea how the aftermarket speakers will interact with the existing Bose amps. The Bose system integration include consideration for amplification and its' speaker specifications including placement. Something that without complete specifications, would be guess work when replace one component in the chain.

I agree in principle if one were to replace the speakers, the rest should to be discarded especially in the Z Bose system. There's a work around but that requires either disabling the dash speaker (if one were to use a 2-way at the door - for example or rewire/relocation) Component sets will require two separate cross-over to ensure proper frequency distribution and double check impedance responses given the x-overs plus knowing the output from the Bose amp...the list goes on. The bottom line is that it is much more difficult to make the Bose amp work well with aftermarket speakers than replace it all. That said, I've replaced a door speaker on a Bose system with a two way in the door in the past on a 240SX with no problems. Frequency response improvement was definitely noticeable.
What year 240? Post 1998 did not have the sound processor bose has now to omit certain frequencies from the audio it is reproducing.
I would rather give safe advice and say they are not compatible rather than saying maybe and someone blowing their bose amp up. Do some speakers provide the same ohms rating as stock, yes, however they may not be as efficient in producing sound as the paper bose speakers. And adding a set of component speakers in a bose system of the z is not that simple. The bose has a output for each speaker coming off the amp, so feeding a set of component speakers a full range signal can only be done after summing the signals of the low and high ouputs of the bose amp.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote