View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

I talked to a local muffler shop, and they quoted me a price of $85 to remove the stock cat, and install one one cat. Problem is, I would have to leave it overnight, since they want the car to completely cool down. I feel like that's a somewhat reasonable price for what I'm asking - I'll be checking out one more muffler shop to see if they can just do it the same day or something. I told them that I don't care if you trash the stock cat - I just want it off.

Yeah, I tried everything MaDMaXX! I know about Kroil, but I figured that nearly an entire can of PB Blaster / Liquid Wrench would do the trick, and even with all my air tools and 1/2 drive sets, it was a no go. I was kinda hoping that at least the head of the bolt would snap off, so I could at least remove the cat that way, haha. That sucker is stuck!

Looking at the passenger side bolt I was able to extract, I could clearly see some threads completely sheared off, indicating that they had been cold welded to the threads in the cat. Pretty scary.