View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
dthem370
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z
dthem370 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-NISMO View Post
Dthem... I had the exact same issue. You soaked your intake cones, but you are not hydrolocked. Stop starting your engine and revving, etc because you will just pull water from the cones into the engine.

I have the AEM EFI intake, and after washing my car one day, with ZERO engine bay cleaning, my car would not start. I fired the engine, it bogged down, and died. It sounded like the car was suffocating. I pushed my car into my garage and got to work. I will tell you what I did to get my car working again.

Jack the front, remove the front bumper, and pull off the intake cones. After removing the intake cones, shake out ALL of the excess water, and then put them in front of a fan for a couple of hours to dry. While doing this, pull out your MAF sensors and make sure they are dry. Mine had gotten water on them, which caused the engine to misread the airflow. This, combined with the lack of air getting in from the soaked cones, is what is killing the engine.

Buy MAF cleaner from any auto parts store, spray the MAFs to clean off any residue that is messing with the computer, and let them dry. After everything is totally dry, replace the MAFS, cones, and fire the engine again. You may also want to reset your ECU by disconnecting the NEG battery terminal for ten minutes. If you do this, which I did, you will need to reset your auto up/down windows as well.

If everything is back to normal, put your bumper back on and go drive for a bit. Get the engine hot and let any excess water burn out.

I spent HOURS doing all of this, so be prepared to take it easy and let the engine dry out. It took me multiple starts, and multiple idling sessions to get the engine to a point where it would actually stay idling, and not bog down and die. Next time, be careful spraying your front wheels... I think this is what screwed us.

Also, but the foam pieces that prevent hydrolock.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks a lot for the good info. I already cleaned out my air filters, MAFs and also decided to clean the throttle bodies and let everything dry out. The car is running great now. I also washed my car again yesterday to see if the problem would happen again and im all good.
dthem370 is offline   Reply With Quote