View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #66 (permalink)
d15b7
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z 7AT GM
d15b7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
It's simple, you haven't been driving long enough.
I insured mine for 2K but that is after a 40% discount for 4 plus years of safe driving. A further discount comes from driving for over 10 years. This is for 3 million in liabilty and full collision coverage.
Any accidents erases the 40% and the 4 years starts over. Had any of those?
You also get 1 free claim here. If you get in an own fault collision you can use your freebie and keep your 40% but if you get in another one you're screwed.

Usually people paying 4K for insurance have claims or too many tickets.
Tip: if you get in a small fender bender, pay out of pocket to fix the other car.
It's often cheaper than paying 40% more for your insurance.

Sounds to me like you're not coming clean on your driving record.
I think 4K is the "base" price for 370Z for full coverage and certain amount of deductible, disregarding your age and driving history, FROM ICBC. My quote is also around 4K (so is another new owner very different from me in terms of age and driving history), then there's a 40% discount and I still pay exactly $200 a month, That's ICBC in the great north.
Unlike the companies in the states, ICBC set the price mostly based on the risk factor of the car, instead of the driver (the latter was proposed only recently.) "Political Correctness" is a great deal in the culture here - you don't "discriminate" individuals. You get "discounts" for "points" you accumulated by clean driving records each year (i.e. the older you're without accident/tickets, the more point you got and thus better discounts). If you had enough points in the records, after you had an at-fault accident, your points dropped but would still at the max discount level. Otherwise you might get dropped to the lower discount level. There's no "1 free claim" in the policy; and another accident wouldn't erase all your points neither. Drive well next year and you'll get some points back and perhaps a 5% discount per one or two years. Don't ask me how I know all these stuffs.

Last edited by d15b7; 06-13-2012 at 10:17 AM.
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote