View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #65 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki370z View Post
Fair Lady and later Fairlady - The name given to the first line of sports cars designed and built by Nissan Motors Japan after W.W.II, with the specific intent of being marketed in the USA - 1960.
The name "Fair Lady" was given to the new sports car line by Mr. Katsuji Kawamata, President Of Nissan Motors Japan, after he attended the Broadway Musical "My Fair Lady" while visiting the US in 1958. He felt that the name would invoke an image of beauty for the car - because people would think of the beauty of the music and the leading lady in that Broadway Musical.
I was going to leave this thread alone but feel the need to chime in after this post....

I absolutely HATE the movie My Fair Lady (never seen a Broadway production). It's one of those movies that's very highly rated by the critics, but just sucks as a watchable movie (Citizen Kane would be another like that for me). The only people I've ever met who like My Fair Lady are women and gay men. I simply hate it. Perhaps it's my negative association with the movie that makes me not like the name?

Don't know, but I'm also not one to name my cars after woman (I find naming cars a bit odd myself) or any other proper name for that matter. Cats, dogs, and boats get names. Fairlady sounds like a proper name to me, not a car name.

Now I digress.......but just so you understand why I really don't think I personally like it (but certainly not that anyone cares). I consider myself to be a fairly well rounded male, far from an overly macho male chauvinist; clear minded enough to understand the finer softer side of things. But nor am I homosexual (or against homosexuality; I have had plenty of gay friends over the years, and support gay marriage), but the terms "that's gay" or "oh how gay" etc do have a place within the world of descriptive phrases. I for one think calling a car Fairlady sounds totally gay. The heritage and homage may be totally warranted and very cool from that perspective, but it doesn't stop if from sounding gay, at least to me. That may be totally acceptable to some, and I'm good with that. You can call your car what ever you want.

But as for me, I'll just leave it off and remain nameless. I find it much cooler for my tastes. I even removed the 370Z badging, and replaced the Nissan chrome with just a Z. So Z it is.

Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates