View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Division
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z Sport
Division is on a distinguished road

I agree with Dreamer,

two big things come to mind -

The TV and the source.

Most all cable providers are compressing their signals to get more channels on older congested backbones. They use different compression methods, and use the power of the almighty cable box to uncompress and display the signals. FIOS is said to have some of the best picture quality around (having switched from cable, I happen to agree) with OTA a distant second, cable/satelite rounding out third.

As far as the TV is concerned, older (typically larger) LCD's have difficulty displaying "fast action motion". They simply can't change the dots of color fast enough to keep up. Newer technologies, (sony's motion flow, and the other 120hz technologies) are trying to make up for the LCD's sluggishness, but can usually result in a completely different looking picture. (again IMO) Motion flow makes everything look fake, like an afternoon soap opera.

How is your cable box currently hooked to your TV? Are you using an HDMI cable?

PS: I thought I'd throw in that I've pretty much spent as much time into perfecting my home theater (within my budget) as possible. Currently running Martin Logan gear with a Pioneer Elite Plasma.
Division is offline   Reply With Quote