Thread: Wheel jacks...
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapoZalsa View Post
Look at the low ramps, lower jacks and there is a lot of information in the DIY section concerning that issue.
I know about the RaceRamps and what not, but I was looking for a solution so that I could vertically jack up my car in the garage. I am moving to a community that restricts working on cars in the driveway. Stupid, I know.

The issue isn't with the low profile of the jack, but how far back the garage jack point is. My LP jack makes it far back enough now, while clipping the chin spoiler. When lowered, I would imagine this to be impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer_110 View Post
I have the exact same jack and can agree with you on ever single point Alstann. Even though I'm still at stock ride height the Nismo front end means I can't get to the front jack point without some help. All I normally do is get the spare tire jack out of the back, lift the front on one side slightly and then presto enough clearance to for the real jack to get to the front jack point.
Exactly my issue as well. My car's chin spoiler contacts the low profile jack, enough that I have to get a secondary small jack to jack up a side of the car first. It's irritating enough, haha. To jack up my car on 4 stands requires me spending nearly 20-25 minutes. Not good enough. And yup, this is only gonna be exponentially harder once lowered on coilovers.

The more I think about it, I think just simply lifting the car one corner at a time, and then sliding a SUV rhino ramp underneath will be good enough. Each ramp supports like 3 tons, and since they are underneath the tires, I would fully trust the car to not fall off. Also, even though the ramps only lift like 10-12 inches off the ground, they lift the tires, which by nature means the body of the car is higher than the tires. I could even place some sheets of thick wood underneath the ramps for even more clearance.

The other solution is to keep using the spare scissor jack to lift the car enough to get to the jack point, but I really wanna figure out a quicker solution.

The Jackpoint Jackstands are indeed a super clever design, but my problem with them is they only lift like 12 inches off the ground. Also, they cost waaaaaay too much for stands, in my opinion.