View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
speedfreek
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 370Z PW 6sp
speedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant futurespeedfreek has a brilliant future
Default Dr. Colorchip repair - Pearl White

Well about a month ago I got caught in a hail storm and afterwards a torrential rain storm. While moving the Z away from the area I was in to get to cover in case another session of hail happend I suspect is when a rock was thrown into the front end of the car. The Z survived the hail without any visible damage which was a relief but the next day while investigating the damage I did notice a big rock chip on the driver side front bumper right in front of the wheel well. I decided to order the Dr. Colorchip kit instead of the crappy paint bottle the dealer will sale you for the same price. Well today after washing the car I had enough time after to try my hand at using this stuff for the first time. My impression is that it does a great job compared to the dealer stuff. Only issue with it being Pearl White is that its a Tri-coat or 3-stage color. Base coat, mid coat (pearl), and then clear-coated. The Dr. Colorchip kit comes with what is essentially just the base coat which they call off-white to blend in with the pearl coat finish. I think I will need to apply another coat to get it close to perfect as its going to get being touched up. All in all I am happy and recommend anyone else trying to repair a chip or scratch to use this.

The kit

The chip

Close up

Step 1: Apply paint and smear evenly over chip with glove

Step 2: Apply SealAct to a rag and wipe across surface with minimal pressure allowing the chemical to work to remove the excess paint.

No more chip!

Shot of clean Z for good measure
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote