View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #1047 (permalink)
Zaggeron
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 370ZR '13 BRZ
Zaggeron is a jewel in the roughZaggeron is a jewel in the roughZaggeron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
That would be true if we were talking about a differnt demographic who traditionally hold onto practical cars longer. You will see yonger demographic buying these and selling them a couple years down the road.

WInners will be people like me who wait for somone to unload one with low miles at 60% off what they paid in 2 years. No I see these cars as having very high depreciation. They arent special enough to hold value and the higher numbers will mean there will be poorly cared for cars that pull others down with them. One thing Porsches had going in intial phases were parts were expensive so thrashed Boxsters still commanded decent price for parts. this car uses pretty plain Jane components shared with Subi, Toyota and Scion. Nope this car will a$s rape new buyers who pay MSRP now.

All people who buy used cars should laugh at the folks who break them in for them. You'd be raped if you bought a Corvette in 2006 and tried to sell it now

2006 base Corvette: retail in 2006 43,700. avg Kelly BB value now 27k
2006 Z06: retail in 2006 64K. avg Kelly BB value now 36K

My point is that resale value for almost all cars suck after they are a few years old. But at least for sports cars, they can bottom out as someone almost always wants them -- unlike a Camry or a Corolla which just go down and down until they hit the junkyard

Given that you are buying a new car, resale value down the road is just one of many things to consider and depreciation is one of the prices you pay for the piece of mind you get with a new car, or the satisfaction of the desire to "have it now"

Oh, and I wouldn't quite call the people who wait two years just to save a few bucks by buying it used "winners"