View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
vjarnot
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z Base SP M6
vjarnot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
The bolded statement is incorrect. The are two things that can damage a speaker, pushing it beyond its mechanical limits or pushing it beyond its thermal limits.
If you keep reading past the semi-colon you will see that I stated as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjarnot View Post
driving a speaker to volume levels which require a level of wattage greater than the amplifier can provide will produce 'clipping', which can easily damage a loudspeaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjarnot View Post
The way to damage a speaker which is driven by an adequately powered amplifier is too go berserk with the volume - causing the loudspeaker to draw more and more power, play louder and louder until it physically fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
While yes clipping is often caused by someone with too little power setting their gains incorrectly, too little power in and of itself can not damage a speaker.
Now that is just pedantry. Too little power for the selected level is exactly what causes an amplifier to clip, which blows speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
I will agree that it did blow however there was no clipping of the signal after tuning, they just were overpowered because I wired them at 1 ohm instead of 4 ohms like I had thought I wired it. Installer error
To say that a speaker was overpowered by an amplifier implies that amplifiers "push" power to speakers... which they don't: speakers draw power from amplifiers. How much they draw is determined by the level selected and the speaker's impedance and efficiency. Again, (and strangely enough, BigNate and I seem to agree on this) the only way to blow a speaker with too much power is to play it at levels which exceed its physical or thermal limits... which doesn't seem to be the case here. It's simple: speakers don't draw any more power than they need to play at the level you've selected.
vjarnot is offline   Reply With Quote