View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #42 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
I'm curious too. With the Stillen pulley, you need a new (shorter) belt. You don't need a new belt with NST. That makes me wonder if it's really underdriven. Looking at the original post, NST wrote "The NST Kit includes a 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley along with a 10% Overdrive (faster) Alternator Pulley. This means that the alternator will run at OEM speeds when the NST kit is used." I guess that's why they still use the OEM belt. But if the alternator is running at OEM speeds, doesn't that kinda cancel out the effect of the underdrive crank pulley? I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, so I'm just asking the question.
Alternator doesn't "soak" much in the way of power from the engine.

The power steering pump, water pump, and A/C do.

The idler pulley might be more towards it's upper range of extension with a 10% underdrive and the OEM belt. Is Stillen's underdrive 10% also, or is it higher?

Also, the alternator pulley would be smaller to run at OEM speeds - which would increase the need for a shorter belt even more - like I said, I suspect the idler pulley for belt tension is just more at it's upper range of tolerance...