View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #599 (permalink)
Boosted Performance
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Z's
Boosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted Performance has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, donor car.

On a side note, the car was in yesterday due to some strange wideband sensor readings. It was all over the place, and from experience there could only be one reason for that. The wideband is about 8" downstream from the turbo, and of course the down pipe is connected to the turbine via V-band. With welding and flanges you have to get the heat (amps) up to get a proper weld, with good penetration. As you do that, the flange can warp just a bit and cause a leak. Once removed, the warping was not visible to the naked eye, but id does not take much.

So I took the down pipe off (takes about one minute) and added high temp. RTV to that connection. This is common practice and you will see the RTV used a lot on exhaust systems (flanges). I let it set over night, and James came over this morning to get the car, started it up and the a/f was perfect at 14.5:1 or so at idle. No more bouncing a/f ratios, just perfect.

We went out for a drive, and things looked great. Small adjustment on UpRev and we did a couple of pulls with the 4psi springs in the wastegates. Car pulls HARD, and spools NOW, holding strong all the way to red line. It is quieter than a stock 370z with the F.I exhaust, so a perfect sleeper. I don't think a 370z driver could tell the car was ever turboed, until you step on it.

I can't wait for this car to get tuned properly. I have a feeling that this will surprise a few people once the numbers are out.
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote