View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
2ndChance
Base Member

Drives: like he stole it
2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute2ndChance has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Some observations on the Stillen Gen 3 Intakes.

Just after receiving my Gen3 I quickly opened the shipping box and was already pairing the parts for install, when I noticed many dirt spots inside the pipes. Having never heard of such thing after reading numerous reviews of this intake. (Stillen, being the general consensus of this forum, I expected a flawless product)

Looks like we got something here.

It was some kind of magnetic, metallic dust/shaving. I couldn't just wipe it off, it was all around the inner side of the pipe. So I came up with a sliding-sponge-mechanism to clean it. That a whole lot of dirt. Just imagine what it could do to your MAF sensors.

The MAF sensor port and the silicone hose connector also had this dust all over it.

It's not really a big deal but just a warning to those trying to install the intake without carefully inspect the inner surface. this could cause a severe damage to your MAF sensors. It is quite pointess to use efficient air filters if the dirt is already inside the intake. Also I'd like stillen to do a quick QC before shipping their items. I wont mention the seller here because I think that's not very relevant.

Install: there is not much details about that just took me over 2 hours and basic tools. I did use a power drill to enlarge the holes, it was so much easier. Also there were missing hose clamps but I had a few spare so I used mine instead.

Power gains: I took my Z for a quick ride with no front bumper and the sound was absolutely amazing at high revs, when in low rev it has a sweet hissing sound. I could definitively feel power gain, tried to burn some rubber in a 20 feet travel which normally doesn't smell much, but after the intake install rev builds up faster and more tire smoke/smell. Got no traction until 3rd gear (Stock tires). The only other mod I have is a ebay cheap Y pipe.

Very happy with this mod!!

Some other pics.

The mighty Nitecore TM11 flashlight which works perfectly as a work light.
2ndChance is offline   Reply With Quote