View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #40 (permalink)
RDGR12
Base Member

Drives: An Old Beater
RDGR12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra1 View Post
Yeah, it was a tough sell, I walked out twice. The second time I acted like I was talking on my cell phone hoping the salesman would come out, and he did It was late at that point, about 10pm, so I think they were tired.
At that point they were down to about $700 over MSRP and he asked whats it going to take to sell you the car. I responded with sell it at MSRP and you got a deal, if you come back with .01 cent over, I'm out of here.
So he came back and said lets do it.

I've found that getting there just before the dealer closes can sometimes be advantages.

One time when I was negotiating on an 03 GTI, they were just about $20 a month away from what I wanted, but wouldn't budge. So I grabbed the guys business card from his desk and wrote my cell number on the back of it. I told him heres my cell phone number, I'm leaving now and driving over to Long Beach VW, they have a black one there. If you decide to sell me this one, call my cell, but once I hit the freeway, I'm not coming back. I walked out, got in my car, got to about the first light, and my phone rang, guess who it was
Walking out is some of the best tools you can use with negotiating. But I think you still can do better than MSRP. But, you're happy with your purchase, CONGRATS!!
RDGR12 is offline   Reply With Quote