View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
ShinyBlueZ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Shiniest Bluest Z
ShinyBlueZ will become famous soon enoughShinyBlueZ will become famous soon enough

If his parents are getting him an STi/370.. they'll probably be paying for the upkeep/insurance anyway so I doubt the 2-seater premium is much of a concern for him.

Most peeps on this board probably considered the STi as one of their choices while shopping for the 370.. I certainly did. In the end we got the 370 so that's the opinion you'll likely get from here.

That said, since it's your first car and you live in a city where it snows.. I would suggest the AWD also. Maybe not even something as crazy as the STi.. the base WRX suggestion was good. Though if your parents are letting you choose what car to get.. I know there's no way you'll ask for a regular WRX

Unfortunately the accident/write-off rate for a 16 year old in an STi is probably like 75% The reality is.. no 16 year old guy can resist speeding. Was bad enough in my 1988 toyota camry. Getting behind an STi at 16 is likely a recipe for disaster lol

1 of my friends got an STi at 19. He was one of those fools that thought AWD = invincible/unstoppable in winter. The lamp pole he wrapped his car around sure stopped him. So.. regardless of what you end up getting.. just be careful with overconfidence in any car just because it's deemed to have great handling.

I'm hoping for your sake that you're the exception though man! Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting. My 16 year old former self is jealous
ShinyBlueZ is offline   Reply With Quote