View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooskey View Post
I have used both mobil 1 5w-30 and redline 5w-30. In both cases my car burt oil and had the valve noise deal. I now use Castrol non synthetic 10w-30 (like in all my cars, and work fleet). No more burning oil or valve noise. The cars revs extremely smooth. Im just not sold on all this oil debating. To me I have found something that works so im keeping with it.
Which is what many people do. Mobil 1 doesn't use an ester base, period. I have heard of and read of differences between the 5W-30 and the 0W-40. Nothing has confirmed either definitively, which will also never happen seeing as oil additives and things are trade secrets.

Generally, less valvetrain noise should be better, at least from an audible perspective. I haven't read anything about how the valvetrain noise apparently indicates premature valvetrain wear (as implicitly indicated).

If the mechanic at the shop did as he was told to, he put in what the GT-R would take for oil changes: 0W-40 Mobil 1. The weight has little bearing on how it performs (well actually that is even more complicated, but irrelevant in this case).

When looking at Mobil 1's 5W30 and 0W40, there is no real difference. Solve this problem by doing what was suggested earlier. Run Nissan's suggested oil for the Z; Nissan's Ester Oil, 5W30. End of story. Now let us close this oil thread so that it may sit among the other hundreds of oil threads that never reach any definitive answer.

Happy driving.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote