View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Thanks. But I googled it already and I understand the way it is measured. That doesn't answer what the difference between the 0w40 and the 5w30 is besides cold start and high temp ratings. Does the latter have esters and the former not. That is not explained when reading about viscosity. If the former causes valve chatter in the z it doesn't also do the same in the GT-R?
One wouldn't recommend Pirelli tires for a Prius because there is no benefit equal to the extra paid for the tire but I am sure that the Pirelli is a better tire than the stock. Perhaps Nissan recommends the 5w30 for the Z because there is no real need for the 0w. The question again is what is the better oil?
Simple answer go with Nissan Ester and call it a day. Stick to the 5w30 if that's what it says in your manual. The recommended oil varies depending on your climate and the type of driving. The difference is mostly in the brand as far as what goes into the oil. If you really want to know if it's working as it should, have Blackstone labs test it to compare.

If you feel like getting confused even more, here's a comparo of some brands as it relates to wear. Just remember that all oils eventually do break down and this is just to demonstrate the extremes.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote