View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
nismosis
Base Member

Drives: 11 370Z Sport PW 6MT
nismosis is on a distinguished road
Default Have you seen this?

If you read my new member post, then you'll maybe remember I took my Pearl White Z back to dealer after the first time I saw it in the sun. Every panel, metal and plastic, was peppered with small orange/rust colored specks. I don't know what they were, but some searching suggested "rail dust" or small metallic particles that have embedded in the clear. It took the dealer two clay bar attempts to get about 95% of it off. I just finished another few hours at home with Mother's Clay Bar system and I think it's 100% clear now. The dealer's hypothesis was tree sap. I didn't see any trees in their lot. I have dealt with tree sap before and it's much larger than these. Also, they told me all new Z's come covered in plastic. I'm thinking it's simply some environmental contaminant that settled while the car sat on the lot, and who knows how well they keep their inventory clean. I did try to isolate a single speck in a small piece of clay so I can take it to work and check it out in a microscope. It should be easy to tell if it's organic or metallic (engineer dork side coming out). Nonetheless, if you have this issue, Mother's Clay worked great. It takes a few passes, but it does come off thankfully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint specks.jpg (327.8 KB, 117 views)
nismosis is offline   Reply With Quote