View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #958 (permalink)
DJ-of-E
Track Member

Drives: 00 Toyota Celica 040
DJ-of-E is on a distinguished road

I've test driven the FR-S on an auto-X course before. It's a fun and peppy car, but my previous experiences with Boxer engine made me scared of riving over 7000RPM.

I have my Nissan 240sx and Nissan 370z. Engine-wise it feels like my stock 240sx quite a bit with a lot more power at the top end. Handling-wise, I would definitely want this chassis over Silvia S15 on the track. It has a lot of composure on the handling. It's a fun little car that I may consider purchasing, but since I already have a 240sx and money spent on mods on it, I most likely not.

However, this car isn't a bad purchase. If a person haven't bought a Mustang or 370z, I whole would suggest the FRS has a very good sporty option of a car to recommend. It's a great step-up from a daily driver and hopefully promote more car companies to build sportier looking and feeling cars.

As an overall package, I personally would not trade my Z for the FR-S (I did not sit on BRZ, so I cannot compare). Here are my pros and cons vs the 370z.

Pros:
-2 rear seats
-a lot of trunk space
-Actually very easy to drive quickly (Z is harder to drive, but can outgrip FR-S once you learn it).
-Not as corner carver as Miata, but friendly enough to let you power through a corner.
-Easier to see down the engine bay from the driver's windshield perspective
-Better engine sound to 7000RPM than the stock VQ.
-Cabin not as noisy as 370z.
-Feels a lot lighter, yet feels heavier (but planted) compared to my 240SX.

Cons:
-Lacking lacking in power if you're use to turbo or larger engine (both applies to me).
-IMHO, Z33 interior is better than this car's interior...and I do not like the Z33 interior.
-$30k OTD price this year (these cars are priced jacked like hell @ dealers last time I checked yesterday), expected to be around $28k OTD by the end of the year.

While it seems the pros outweight the cons, it's because I felt the FRS is a solid car overall and a lot of the benefits are just personal preferences and comfort rather than performance.