View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #954 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

EVO guys hired to diss a car? Lol! You clearly don't know those guys. Nope they just know cars well and Take time to really drive cars too. Lots of long term tests. Take cars to same circuit. They have track days on regular basis too. They are great at assessing cars strengths and weaknesses. They were spot on.

Have you seen Dynos? Yeah it make 125 ft lbs of torque and 75 HP at 3000 RPM hauling 3000 lbs of car and people. Sorry that's a fail in my book. No f'n way does this car have grunt with hefty near 3000 lb weight with customers seated in drivers seat. Vast majority of testers in US have based input based on track tests where they can easily grab power and focus on extracting power with redline shifts. That's not practical on the street. Yeah it's an underpowered But fun track car. However a 2700 lb car that will be closer to 3000 lbs with passengers will suffer with a sub 150 whp motor. It's physics. I don't even need to drive it to know its underpowered.

I can tell you my biggest complaint with 2800 lb 217 Hp Porsche Boxster was that it always needed to be down shifted if I was under 4000 rpm to grab acceptable power. Magazines all raved about Boxster too and it was and still is a great car but lack of power in early boxsters was real bummer. There is a reason why you can buy used 2.5 and 2.7 boxsters for under $10k. The Boxster S and Cayman S actually are fun to drive as they make enough power to exploit great chassis.

Subaru made excellent chassis for BRZ just as Porsche did for old boxsters. However just watch what happens to resale values of base BRZ if Subi introduces an STI version with forced induction. I suspect they won't do that soon as they know they would tank resale values and cars sold on leases would take higher depreciation hit. They likely will make slow incrental changes. Too bad really as the car has great potential.

I disagree with you. If BRZ had come in around say 2450 lbs with 2.0 it would have been tons of fun but when you put two people in the car your going to be over 3000 lbs. the power and torque to weight ratio is terrible. It's just too heavy for that small NA 2.0 motor.

Yes it's relatively fun car compared to a Civic or a Mazda 3. It's spicy sport looks will attract lots of women buyers too. It's practical too. But it misses mark as serious sports car in my book. Please buy one I'd lobe to hear what you think once you have one for a year or two. You seemed to convince yourself this car is awesome with no flaws. Suspect brz forums are going to be fixated on how to get more power and how to shed weight.

FYI in Europe mx5 comes with smaller 1.8 liter motor

Edit: heres an idea how about Subaru offering a Motorsports edition where they delete rear seats and maybe do a few more things to take weight off this porky 4 cylinder "sports car"

Last edited by Shamu; 05-16-2012 at 07:16 AM.