View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
ZMan8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 10 370z 40th M6
ZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond reputeZMan8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FricFrac View Post
Uh I don't think that's quite right.... intake air goes into the combustion chamber and back out the exhaust. Precious little water gets in that way. If it was as heavily contaminated as you suggest you'd have milky oil all the time. Typically condensation is where most of the moisture comes from that gets in the oil. If your car sits for extended periods of time you're more likely to have extra water in your oil.

Water from condensation is why you should change your oil if your car is off the road in the winter - simply change the oil in the spring when it goes back on the road. In the winter turn it over every few weeks to keep the seals oiled. Putting oil in the car for storage doesn't make any sense either since you're not going to drive with the "storage" oil so just leave the oil that's in it when you park it.
From what I read and was told leaving old oil in for 4-5 months is bad as well though. Something to do with the acidic substances. Oil change is not expensive if you do it yourself so might as well replace before storage and after storage.

Regarding the op, I drove my z about 3000 miles per year but I.change the oil twice in that time period. Once whenever I take the car out or storage around april and once before I put it back in in Oct/Nov

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2