View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
vjarnot
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z Base SP M6
vjarnot is on a distinguished road
Default Intermediate+ level hpde driver, do I need cooling mods for first track day?

I want to track the Z before deciding whether it's worth the money to do the usual track mods (brake ducts, oil cooler, tires/wheels, dampers, camber arms, etc).

I'd like to do a track weekend with just pads/fluid (and probably some redline oil too) to get a feel for the car and decide whether I wish to continue tracking the Z. If I decide to continue tracking the Z, the oil cooler and brake ducts will be first - followed by tires and suspension.

I've read that regular track use requires an oil cooler, I've also read that beginning drivers can get away without one for a few weekends. My question is: can an intermediate-level hpde driver (I was running in either intermediate or advanced groups on R-comps in my S2000) do a track weekend with just a pad/fluid change? By "do a track weekend", I mean run 30-minute sessions without having to cool the car off mid-session. I don't mind if the oil temps climb, I just want them below the magical 280.

BTW, this would be at Barber or Road Atlanta in the next few months... so pretty high ambient temps.

Also, is an XP10/XP8 overkill for a full oem setup? I don't want brake issues, but I also don't want to cause brake issues on my (as yet) unducted setup.
vjarnot is offline   Reply With Quote