View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Coppella
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z Nismo #14
Coppella is on a distinguished road

Choosing between a Z and an RX-8, in my opinion, depends on the kind of driving you want to do. Reason I feel that way is because I own both. I have a 12' Nismo and my wife drives an 07' RX-8. The Z is obviously WAY faster but the RX-8 drifts around ANY corner you want. I love both and would not trade either one. As of now both are stock but I have researched for countless hours the different products that are out there. I prefer a sleeper over fancy lights, colors and seats because if your going to get a car that has 10K in upgrades but still cannot beat a stock then in my opinion you have wasted more than 10K, you have wasted your time. However, I am not a 'hater' because I got both the RX-8 and Z for their looks as well.

Tuning-The Z and RX-8 have unlimited potential. Stock, I feel like the RX-8 has better throttle response time and it is designed to be driven at high RPMs so if you want to turn left to turn right then get an RX-8. The best way to begin a tune on an RX-8 would be a new differential, either 1.5 or 2 way (costs around 1K). Tuning the Z should begin with the exhaust and intakes because it will make it roar on the road stronger, louder and deeper than any other car out there, short of old school American muscle. The only thing I am personally stuck on for my Z is whether or not I want short or long intake pipes. Same goes for the RX-8 when it comes to the Exhaust and Intakes. I have found a combination that I want for my RX-8 and I need to save about 1500K for it. An ExoticSpeed Exhaust, Agency Power Pully, and AEM Cold Intake. This will all be after I spend the 1K for a differential though.

I digress-So back to the RX-8 or Z. I have had the Z for 6 months and RX-8 for 17 months and I would suggest that you take a strong look at how you drive. If you want to drift, get an RX-8. If you want to hug corners at nearly any speed and drive as fast as hell, get a Z. If gas mileage is a oncern for you then you should get neither and go with a hybrid. Gas mileage should never be a concern if you want to drive like a 'bat out of hell.' Gas is expensive no matter what you do and if you can afford 500 bones for an air intake then you can afford 60 bones for a tank of gas.

RX-8- Time now, it is in the shop. It has 62K+ miles and it failed a compression test so my warrenty covers me getting a brand new engine. I bought it with 42K+ miles. 3 months ago I noticed the gas mileage starting to decrease. I am (was) down to 9 MPG, and in 10 months I had to get the spark plugs, coils and spark plug wires replaced twice. Each time it was free under factory warrenty and took less than a day to complete. So buyer beware, rotary is absolutly amazing and fun as hell to drive but does come with complications. (note: My wife flooded the engine the first time we got all the plugs ect. fixed, I blame myself for not helping her enough with the concept of rotary).

Z- AWESOME! I love it. The only thing I do not like about my Z is the constant stake of traction control. Even when it is turned off it will still kick in slightly if you hit a corner hard enough. But oh well, its a friggin Nismo! Since Nismo comes with the epic sports package their are not many upgrades you need to make, except for a good quality radar detector (you get what you pay for, do not get a cheap-o).

Happy Driving!
Coppella is offline   Reply With Quote