View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Hey guys! I just thought I would update you on my CarPC:

First off - I updated the front end software to Centrafuse 4.0. I have to say, it is much better than the older versions of which I "found online," so to speak. The functionality is much more touch oriented, and has many more cool features, such as gestures, quick search by letter, updated GPS mapping, etc. Also, I am looking into how to skin the software, to better match the interior of the 370z. I'll hopefully be able to get that done soon.

Also, I finally got around to installing three things: an HDRadio tuner/receiver, a Flush-mounted AUX input, and the JoyCon EX Steering Wheel Control Adapter.

The HDRadio receiver is made by Visteon, and is normally used to provide HD Radio to pre-existing stereos and headunits. However, via a USB controller cable made by MoCoSo, it can be used for the computer as long as you have an antenna input.

Metra sells the antenna adapter kit here:

The install was pretty simple - the HDRadio just needs 12v Constant, IGN+, and a ground. Since these were already wired to the rear of the car for the CarPC, just simply tapping into them did the trick. I ran the 12v Constant through the distribution block under the passenger seat. I just mounted the HDRadio unit next to the CarPC, with plenty of room to spare.

Another thing I did to save me some time was to cut the foam insert that sits above the CarPC so that you could lift it straight up and out of the trunk. This saved me a huge amount of time so that I could directly access the computer in case of removal, or hard reset, etc. without having to disassemble the trunk.

The second thing - the Flush-mounted AUX input - came out fantastic. I decided to install the AUX input inside the center console, right next to the 12v power outlet. I don't have too many pictures, but I have the ones that matter. Besides, it was a super straightforward install - plug the aux cable into the computer after I mounted it.

Here is a picture of the AUX input. It is really a flush install - almost factory. The pictures show the darker color of the washer, but in person, you couldn't even tell.

I plan on possibly adding some USB inputs next to the AUX input, for iPods or thumbdrives or whatever.

The third thing I installed - the JoyCon EX Steering Wheel Control adapter - wasn't so lucky. I ran out of time today to figure out how to make it play nice with the steering wheel controls. Basically, it is a small unit that has wires that you tap into the resistive lines off of the head unit wire harness, much like the AXXESS AWSC or the PAC SWI. Unfortunately, even though I rechecked all my connections for the ground and the Switch A and Switch B, the unit wouldn't register an input to the CarPC. I'll be doing some more troubleshooting tomorrow, but it's still disfunctional for now.

After figuring out my steering wheel controls issue, my next steps for my CarPC include running a GPS module and a microphone, for calling and whatnot.

I am also looking into getting the second screen installed in the cubby hole - probably gonna have to find a custom professional to do that. I found that mp3car.com sells a custom-fit for the 370z screen for the double din slot that looks much more professional than my custom hack job. I'll be buying that, most likely, and relocating the screen I have now to the cubby hole. Centrafuse seems to have the ability to run multiple screens with different outputs of info. I think if I have music on one screen, and an OBD readout / Navigation on the other, it will be quite dandy. Plus, I've never seen it done before.

The alternative to that is to run a Magden CarPC for more detailed OBD data and car diagnostics. However, this would be extremely cost prohibitive, basically doubling the cost of the entire project.

Direct Fit Double Din LCD Touch Screen for 2009-2011 Nissan 370Z

Audio-wise, I still need to get around to ordering a ZEnclosures sub box for my 12" JLW3v3. I also want to do a high-end component set all the way around, but that will be a little ways off.