View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Having owned an RX-8, I would pass on it unless you intend to put a lot of cash into the engine to get it close to respectable.

Pros:
-It's a great dynamic car, great for twisty roads and tracks.
-It still a great looking car IMO.
-Pretty rare compared to GTI's
-4 seater
-I kind of like the rotary 'whirl' sound.
-You can get it to shoot flames if you get the exhaust hot enough.

Cons:
-On the street, where you usually zip around in traffic, the lack of torque down low in the rpm means you are contantly pushing on the engine to get it to go fast.
-Gas mileage is terrible....I mean really, really terrible. I wouldn't have minded if it had the grunt of the 370, but I was averaging 15-18mpg of mostly highway.
-The engine it really finicky and it's a bit of gamble. Some are bulletproof and some lose compression and flat out die. The only redeeming factor is that droping the engine is relatively easy. You also need to watch your oil levels constantly.
-Changing the oil filter will leave your hands bloody...seriously, what a shi*ty location.

I would definately go with the Z and cross shop with a BMW 1 or 3 series, 'stang or even, dare I say Genesis (new one looks fugly though). If you want something similar to the RX-8 without the risk of the engine headaches of the rotary, I think you should wait for the FR-S/BR-Z. GTI is nice, but fwd & still a VW Golf under there....meh.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote