View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
Ouch!! Thats a really high crossover setting for a 12" sub plus 18 db/Hz is pretty steep too. I set my subs at 60Hz @12db. It sounds like you need some mid bass up front. Try dropping your crossover points to the fronts and sub to 60-80Hz and it should sound a lot better.

12" subs make terrible mid bass drivers and your sub has a heavy high mass cone which is optimized for really deep bass.

As far as crossover slopes, steep slopes like 18/db and 24/db are best left to mids and highs where fatter slopes give you more overlap for the subwoofer. If you can, mix the two such as running 24 db/oct on your fronts at 60Hz and the run your sub at 12/db at 60Hz. This would be ideal in your situation to optimize mid bass in your car. Your sub will sound much cleaner at this setting and your fronts will give you that punch your looking for.
Yea, I wanted a bit more mid-bass from the sub and failed. You're right, the sub is VERY deep. I was afraid of pushing the front drivers too hard, so I set a conservative cutoff (120-150Hz) hoping to get some warmth of an electric bass and acoustic bass drum from the sub. Unfortunately, it can only be heard when listening to house and hip hop.

BTW, the amp x-over is set to thru and bass boost is disabled (not so clean).

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

[EDIT] It sounds much better now. Guess I shouldn't have to worry about the front speakers so much. Thanks!

Last edited by DIGItonium; 08-26-2009 at 09:01 PM.
DIGItonium is offline   Reply With Quote