View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #82 (permalink)
Mike
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 370z
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLion View Post
I've heard of this on the track, but never on the road. I have a 2010 and have driven it well under a quarter tank (to 3 dots as I recall) with no fuel starvation and I do take on ramps and off ramps at 60+. On the track I always keep the tank over 1/2 since fuel starvation regularly occurs there to many Z drivers...generally at 1/4 tank or less.

What bothers me about this story is the inability to restart once the car was at rest. The fuel pump should have been able to draw gas then. If the OC tried 40 times as he said, then even with an annoying sump in the pump (nice rhyme there), gas should have made it to the engine.

I wonder if there may have been water accumulating in the bottom of the tank. That condition might account for failure to start until gas was added and things got stirred up. Maybe some Drigas?

I have been waiting for this to happen to me since I use only ethynol-free fuel (better mileage and performance for me). Without the additive, water can build up. So far no sign of it (driven well over 10,000 miles on this fuel).

Anyway, the problem may not be classic fuel starvation caused by the turn. It could be that the gas takeup in the tank is too high, maybe water down at the bottom, etc. It could make sense to go get it checked out.
I'm just taking a guess here, but I think once the pump goes dry, it shuts down the fuel system thinking the tank is empty. I know when I got towed off of Road Atlanta, I indicated empty and the car wouldn't start. After putting two gallons in, it went back to 3/4 full, so maybe there is no way for the fuel to get back to the other side once everything shuts down.