View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
2fast4thelaw
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport/MT6
2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGItonium View Post
[blushes]
IIRC, I have it set to 150Hz and -18 db/Hz slope (as punchy as it gets). With the 13-band EQ, the sub is unaffected. It would be nice if it did since the lower range is useless for front speakers rolled off around 150Hz and -12 db/Hz slope.
Ouch!! Thats a really high crossover setting for a 12" sub plus 18 db/Hz is pretty steep too. I set my subs at 60Hz @12db. It sounds like you need some mid bass up front. Try dropping your crossover points to the fronts and sub to 60-80Hz and it should sound a lot better.

12" subs make terrible mid bass drivers and your sub has a heavy high mass cone which is optimized for really deep bass.

As far as crossover slopes, steep slopes like 18/db and 24/db are best left to mids and highs where fatter slopes give you more overlap for the subwoofer. If you can, mix the two such as running 24 db/oct on your fronts at 60Hz and the run your sub at 12/db at 60Hz. This would be ideal in your situation to optimize mid bass in your car. Your sub will sound much cleaner at this setting and your fronts will give you that punch your looking for.
2fast4thelaw is offline   Reply With Quote