View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #460 (permalink)
Nixlimited
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 GT-R / 11 Prius
Nixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by O&G View Post
why does the placement matter for this? It wouldn't be the same if the turbo was anywhere else? I'm sure the customer can choose those options if they want to spend the extra coin. My turbo turbines are ceramic coated but I havn't seen any turbos around here suffering from corrosion and we have tons of humidity and salt air.

Bet boosted has this thing at the dyno already LOL!
Well, turbos on many OEM applications are protected by splash plates. I am not worried about the turbo rusting away or anything, merely a curiosity. Plus, the SS hotsides are much lighter, which is nice, particularly where you have pipes supporting part of the turbo's weight. Anyway, based on BP's response, looks like it's not even an option here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Performance View Post
Well, for starters there is no such thing as a SS divided turbine housing...remember, this is a twin scroll turbo system. On top of that, I use Precision turbos and Precision does not offer this as an option, only Garrett turbo does. They also only offer it for the GT35R turbo and the GT42 (a rather large turbo). The heat alone will prevent the housing from rusting, it may develope a bit of surface corrosion but that is as far as it will go.
I think there are Tial Sport SS hotsides available for a broader range of Garrett turbos: link

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
What is the benefit of running open dump for the waste gates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzel View Post
I would like to know this as well?
In theory, even less exhaust back-pressure since the exhaust that bypasses the turbo gets vented to atmosphere rather than back into the exhaust system. However, I have to believe that for most street applications, the performance difference is nominal.

Last edited by Nixlimited; 05-03-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Nixlimited is offline   Reply With Quote