View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ackrite
Base Member

Drives: '12 White Nismo Z
Ackrite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer_110 View Post
OP, your friend that said a 600 would be a good starter bike is spot on. As long as you respect it's power and don't do anything stupid it'll treat you well and give you room to grow. 250's might be great for learning but after the first year you'll be bored with it and want something bigger so just get a 600 to begin with and save yourself some money. Definitely get a fuel injected bike. They are much easier to maintain especially when winter storage is involved. My starter bike when I started riding a few years ago was a Honda CBR600 F4I. Just remember that even the 600's are absurdly quick and should be treated with respect.

Best thing you can do as a first timer is take a "Beginner Motorcycle Safety" class. Not sure what they offer in your area but here's a link to one of the big sponsoring groups for these types of classes. Motorcycle Safety Foundation
+1
Definitely take the MSF course. My first bike was and is an 08 cbr600rr. If you go the 250 route you feel like you've outgrown it in a few months to a year. I don't regret my decision to skip the 250. 600's have excellent power, throttle response, and stability both at highway speeds and in the twisties.
Ackrite is offline   Reply With Quote