View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #107 (permalink)
fritz
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z M6
fritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to behold

ChrisSlicks wrote:
I disagree that the steering lock is a security measure in a modern car. The only way to steal a modern car is to either have the key, by-pass the key system by applying power to various bits between the BCM and ECM (tricky and time consuming), or load it onto a flat bed trailer. Gone are the days of ripping wires out under the dash and touching them together (hot wiring). The only useful purpose the lock serves is to hold the wheels steady when parked on a hill. __________________

I agree..and disagree. It's legislators and special interests groups and lobyists who bless us with this apparent rubbish when they have nothing better to do than protect us from ourselves...aided by Nissan and other makers....who have similar problems with similar locks...maybe not as bad,
but on some BMWs you need to renew the whole steeering column.

.....and now they want...strike that.."have managed" to make testing the device a part of a vehicle annual "safety check". (My "B" lock lasted 12,000 miles in "average" cycles almost equating, I guess, to a DD in 16 months.)

As an aside, there's a few articles out there as to how easy it is to steal electronic key information: the right receiver near the car when the key is used can pick up the data....and use it on "you" later.

The new parking brake gizmo (2012?) recognises the electronic lock as ... er.. rubbish, apparently....but it seems a wire cutter might "fix" a hand-brake too !

An open-topped shipping container on a truck with a crane and the car's gone in a minute. It happens.

Fritz
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote