View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #794 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Parker, beetle shots look kickin'

Where did you shoot at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
OK, hoping to get some input on a purchase decision.

I shoot with a D3100. I have the 18-55 kit lens, the 35mm/1.8, and the 55-200 'kit' lens. Nothing serious, but I do have most of the focal lengths I need covered (save for an extreme wide angle)

I am looking to purchase my wife a camera, probably either a D5100 or another D3100. I think I have been convinced to invest the extra couple bucks into the D5100.

I am trying to make a lens decision though. We will be sharing glass, so some overlap may be helpful, vs what would normally be advised.

Thoughts I've had:

18-105: good walkaround lens that she could just toss on and be happy for 99% of use.

50mm/1.8: heard good things, love the 35mm prime I have...a 50 would probably be great

85mm /1.8: heard great things about this lens, a little worried about dropping $500 on a prime

tamron 10-24: would love a wide angle lens. heard mixed review

Most of her shots are either of landscapes, pictures of our dog, or close-ups of things like flowers.

Curious to hear thoughts/inputs...and thanks for your help.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote